You get what you think about, whether you like it or not. This powerful sentence from the Law of Attraction is one way of describing how positive thoughts lead to positive outcomes. A positive outlook on life may just be one of the best virtues you can have. Positive people expect success and happiness and typically see those things showing up in their lives. Positive thoughts lead to positive feelings, and we know that the feeling dimension is directly related to our overall wellness.
Essentially, we are talking about cultivating a type of attitude, which is your feeling or way of thinking about things. And we believe that if you have a positive attitude, you will have a more positive life. This can be difficult, especially during dark or troubling times. Yet, taking small steps toward positive thought can create a shift toward increasingly positive emotions and more desirable outcomes. Knowing you have the power to think positive thoughts is one way to take control over your feelings and your experiences.
As you go through your day, try to have positive thoughts about your experiences. One way to accomplish this is to talk to yourself the way you would talk to a friend. Here are some examples of positive thinking:
- The important people in my life love me and will be there for me when I need them.
- People are doing the best they can with the tools they have.
- It’s okay to make mistakes, because mistakes are really opportunities to learn.
- I am a person who deserves love and happiness.
- I got this. My day seems overloaded, but I have what it takes to successfully navigate through it all.
- My body is strong and it serves me well as I move through the world.
- I have the power to improve aspects of my life that aren’t working for me.
More fun positive thought resources:
Some examples of positive thoughts: http://thinkpositive30.com/blog/sample-positive-thoughts/
Here’s a site that tells you a bit more about how and why positive thinking works: http://www.affirmationsforpositivethinking.com
An interesting article on overcoming negative thoughts: http://tinybuddha.com/blog/10-tips-to-overcome-negative-thoughts-positive-thinking-made-easy/